1. CAN ALL LOFTS BE CONVERTED?
The majority of lofts can be converted.
2. WILL I REQUIRE PLANNING PERMISSION?
Unless your property is a flat or is in a conservation area it is unlikely your loft conversion will require planning permission.
3. CAN NEIGHBOURS PREVENT A LOFT CONVERSION GOING AHEAD?
No, they can only insist on a full party wall award being drafted by surveyors.
4. WHAT IS THE AVERAGE PRICE OF A LOFT CONVERSION?
It is difficult to give a definitive answer but to give a rough guide, a simple eaves loft would most likely start from £25,000 excluding VAT, whereas a dormer with a bedroom and bathroom would start from £35,000 excluding VAT.
5. HOW LONG DOES AN AVERAGE PROJECT TAKE?
The majority of all lofts are completed within 5-6 weeks.
6. WILL WE NEED TO MOVE OUT WHILE THE WORK IS UNDERTAKEN?
No, loft conversions are less disruptive than most other residential home improvements. Two thirds of the work is undertaken accessing the property through the roof, limiting the disruption to the rest of the house.
7. WILL A LOFT CONVERSION INCREASE THE VALUE OF MY PROPERTY?
A professionally built loft conversion will instantly add value to your property, even in times of economic uncertainty. According to estate agents a fourth bedroom and bathroom are the most valuable feature a property can have when clients are looking to buy.
8. WHO DEALS WITH THE AUTHORITIES?
We provide full plans for Local Authority and client approval, but are happy to work from drawings supplied.
9. IS SUNLIGHT LOFT’S WORK GUARANTEED?
Yes, we guarantee all our structural work for up to 10 years.
10. IS YOUR COMPANY FULLY INSURED?
Yes, Sunlight Lofts (UK) Ltd has full personal, public and employers liability cover.